Both federal and provincial funding is available through Student Aid for programs leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate. The program must be at least 12 weeks long and at a designated educational institution
. Your eligibility to receive assistance will be determined by assessing your financial need using the following formula.
Allowable Costs - Available Resources = Assessed Need
This is done by adding the costs of your education and living expenses while in school, and then subtracting any money determined to be available to you. The result is your assessed need.
Depending on your assessed need, you may be eligible for a combination of the following loans and grants. In some situations, student aid will not be enough to cover the full cost of your schooling as there are maximum levels of assistance available. If this is the case, you may need to find additional sources of funding.
2017-18 Academic Year
2017-18 Academic Year
- Canada Student Grant for Full-Time Students (CSG-FT): up to
a maximum of $375/month, based on your income and family size. The exact amount awarded is determined according to a single progressive threshold under which the size of the grant gradually decreases as income increases, with the rate of reduction varying by family size.
The grant amount gradually reduces to zero as income increases; however, to ensure a minimum grant amount is provided to all eligible students, grant awards of less than $100 per period of study will be rounded up to $100 accordingly.
- Grant for Full-Time Students with Dependants: up to $200/month of study for each child under the age of 12 at the beginning of the study period. Exceptions can be made for low-income students with dependants 12 years of age or older who have a permanent disability (a medical certificate or documentation confirming receipt of federal or provincial disability assistance is required). This grant is available for each year of post-secondary studies, provided you continue to meet the eligibility criteria. This includes post-secondary studies beyond the undergraduate level.
- Grant for Students with Permanent Disabilities: $2,000 per academic year. Verification of Eligibility Form required when you apply. As grant amounts are fixed, you could receive more money than your assessed need. This grant is available for each year of post-secondary studies provided you continue to meet the eligibility criteria. This includes post-secondary studies beyond the undergraduate level.
- Canada Student Loans (CSL): up to maximum of $210/week of study
- NL Student Loan (PSL): up to a maximum of $40/week of study for in-province students and up to $140/week of study for students studying outside the province.
If studying in the province, students are assessed for a maximum of $40/week in NL Student Loan and maximum of $100/week in non-repayable NL Student Grant for a total of up to $140/week of study. (For MUN Medical Students - up to $75 NL Student Loan plus $125 NL Student Grant for a combined weekly amount of up to $200).
Note: Students studying outside the province are automatically assessed for NL Student Loans up to $140/week. Eligibility for an increased amount of NL Student Grant can be determined by using the NL Student Grant Eligibility Form
- NL Student Grant (PSG): up to a maximum of $100/week of study.
- Grant for Services and Equipment for Students with Permanent Disabilities (CSG- PDSE):
up to $8000 per year for education-related costs associated with the disability
(costs for hiring tutors, note-takers or interpreters, braille-related expenses
or technical aids). Requires Application for Grant for Services and Equipment for Students with Permanent Disabilities. Once your application is processed, you will receive written notification of your eligibility. This grant is available for each year of post-secondary studies, provided you continue to meet the eligibility criteria. This includes post-secondary studies beyond the undergraduate level.
- Grant for High Need Students with Permanent Disabilities: covers education-related costs associated with the disability over the maximum amount available from the CSG-PDSE. When you apply for the CSG-PDSE, you are automatically considered for this grant. See Permanent Disability for additional details.
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free .